Saturday, January 23, 2010

What a difference a week makes

When I wrote my last post, about a week ago, I was feeling pretty down about the direction things are going in my country. Since then, several things have happened to make me more optimistic than I have been in at least a year.

1) Scott Brown wins Mass
2) The Supreme Court actually defends the Constitution
3) Air American shuts down
4) Barney Frank suggests shutting down Fannie and Freddie
5) Ben Bernanke is losing his supporters

The first two points are solid, tangible wins for liberty. The last 3 are simply signs that the American people are coming to the realization that President Obama's change is not really the kind of change that will make things better for the majority of Americans.

On a side note, one thing I find particularly amusing is that so-called-progressives will lament both points 2 and 3 together, without admitting that Air American was, and always has been, an exploitation of loopholes in campaign finance laws that were just struck down. In other words, Air American was a perfect illustration of how useless the McCain-Feingold "reform" was anyway. Air America did nothing but lose money throughout its entire existence, but it provided a mechanism for wealthy left-liberals to funnel huge sums of money into their political cause that would have otherwise been deemed illegal.

Points 4 and 5 simply tell me that the American people are finally realizing that both our government's involvement in housing and the ever ending meddling of the Federal Reserve are somehow connected to the economic problems that we currently face. I believe admitting there is a problem is the first step in the 12 step program to recovery.

Finally, to cap off my happy week, I won a pair of business class tickets to Europe in a drawing on Thursday. So, I'm in a pretty good mood.

No comments:

Post a Comment